An isolation fence is the most effective means to protect a child from drowning in a swimming pool or spa.
Isolation fencing should be installed as follows:
- Completely enclosing the swimming pool and spa isolating the pool and spa from the home, play areas, front and side yards and the neighbor’s yard
- A minimum of 5 feet in height
- Provided with a self-closing and self-latching gate
- Release mechanism should be at the top of the gate
- Release mechanism should designed to receive a padlock
- Maximum clearance from the ground to the bottom of the barrier fence should be 2 inches
- Gaps in the fencing should be no more than 4 inches
- Any protrusion that would allow a child a handhold or foothold to climb the fence should be removed
- Check building regulations for your local area
* Photo courtesy of Guardian Pool Fence Systems.